EKOGRID™ Electrokinetic Remediation solution cleverly utilizes certain electrokinetic and electrochemical reactions to enhance bioremediation and break down organic pollutants in soil, groundwater and sediment (in situ or ex situ). Optimized pulsed voltage patterns, essential for the proper functioning of this method, are transmitted automatically by a bespoke EKOGRID™ control unit.
The EKOGRID™ Electrokinetic Remediation solution comprises the following components:
- EKOGRID™ control unit,
- Electrical connection or alternative energy source,
- Electrodes installed to the depth of contamination to be treated,
- Cables and connections,
- Know-how of the EKOGRID™ experts.
The EKOGRID™ Remediation method in a nutshell
EKOGRID is an electrokinetic method that utilizes natural well-known phenomena and reactions:
- Electro-osmosis, electrophoresis and electromigration,
- Electrochemical redox reactions (e.g. electrolysis),
- Bioremediation processes, increased microbial activity.
The core of this unique system :
- Optimized pulsed voltage output,
- Frequently changing polarity of the output:
- This makes the charged contents of the pore water move quickly back and forth (short electro-osmotic pulses) so that freshly formed free radicals and oxygen that promote the oxidization of compounds emerge.
- The system uses the capacitive nature of the matrix (soil), thus enabling it to work at a very low output voltage.
- Reactions will occur at the surface of each soil particle and evenly spread throughout the whole matrix and precisely where the pollution is. The finer the soil grain size, the more effectively the system operates due to faster and more complete remediation.
What are the Benefits of Electrokinetic Remediation compared to other Remediation technologies?
EKOGRID patented products and technologies are cost-effective, simple to install, and safe to use both for the operators and the environment.
With the correct settings made in the commissioning phase, our system utilizes the capacitive nature of the soil matrix. Reactions will occur at the surface of each soil particle, precisely where the pollution is. As a result, no energy will be wasted and the system will consume extremely low levels of energy. The effect can be quickly seen in the form of reduced pollutant concentrations in the soil and groundwater.
The key benefits of EKOGRID™ technology:
- Intelligent system based on natural phenomena,
- Works on soil, groundwater and sediments,
- Generally, in situ treatment is the most cost-efficient method, but the technique can also be used to treat and oxidize ex situ heaps,
- No secondary pollution from noise, gas or particle pollution,
- Low energy demand,
- No hazardous chemicals needed,
- No harm to fauna or wildlife,
- Alternative/renewable energy source-compatible,
- Simple logistics and work safety: in situ treatment requires no transport and thus can be carried out discreetly. There is no need for personnel to be on site except during installation, dismantling, and measurement sampling.