Technology and Applications
EKOGRID™ enhanced bioremediation processes are the basis of all projects we participate in. Applications include remediation with EKOGRIDTM system alone and in combination with other remediation solutions. EKOGRIDTM solution can be also used to transfer bioremediation supporting agents to targeted areas in both contaminated saturated and unsaturated zones.
EKOGRID™ Electrokinetic Remediation solution cleverly utilizes certain electrokinetic and electrochemical reactions to enhance bioremediation and break down organic pollutants in soil, groundwater and sediment (in situ or ex situ). Optimized pulsed voltage patterns, essential for the proper functioning of this method, are transmitted by EKOGRID™ control unit, which programming is optimized to each site.
EKOGRID™ is an advanced in situ remediation technology which enhances natural processes and supports complementary remediation methods. EKOGRID™ utilizes electrochemical phenomena to generate chemical radicals on soil particle surfaces and electrokinetic and electro osmotic phenomena to increase availability of organic contaminants for bioremediation, chemical degradation or mechanical removal.
THE EKOGRID™ ELECTROKINETIC REMEDIATION SOLUTION COMPRISES THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS:
- EKOGRID™ control unit,
- Electrical connection or alternative energy source,
- Electrodes installed to the depth of contamination to be treated,
- Cables and connections,
- Know-how of the EKOGRID™ experts.
- Combination with other solutions which is typically optimized by local partners in each market as they have the knowledge if the local offering.
THE EKOGRID™ REMEDIATION METHOD IN A NUTSHELL
EKOGRID is an electrokinetic method that utilizes natural well-known phenomena and reactions:
- Electro-osmosis, electrophoresis and electromigration,
- Electrochemical redox reactions (e.g. electrolysis),
- Bioremediation processes, increased microbial activity.
The core of this unique system:
- Optimized pulsed voltage output,
- Frequently changing polarity of the output:
- This makes the charged contents of the pore water move quickly back and forth (short electro-osmotic pulses) so that freshly formed free radicals and oxygen that promote the oxidization of compounds emerge.
- The system uses the capacitive nature of the matrix (soil), thus enabling it to work at a very low output voltage.
- Reactions will occur at the surface of each soil particle and evenly spread throughout the whole matrix and precisely where the pollution is. The finer the soil grain size, the more effectively the system operates due to faster and more complete remediation.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ELECTROKINETIC REMEDIATION COMPARED TO OTHER REMEDIATION TECHNOLOGIES?
EKOGRIDTM patented products and technologies are cost-effective, simple to install, and safe to use both for the operators and the environment.
With the correct settings made in the commissioning phase, our system utilizes the capacitive nature of the soil matrix. Reactions will occur at the surface of each soil particle, precisely where the pollution is and everywhere between the electrodes -not just at the installed electrodes. As a result, no energy will be wasted and the system will consume extremely low levels of energy. The effect can be quickly seen in the form of reduced pollutant concentrations in the soil and groundwater as well as stabilized ORP and dissolved oxygen levels.
The key benefits of EKOGRID™ technology:
- Continuous and sustained degradation of target compounds
- Easy to install with relatively low related costs
- Works on soil, groundwater and sediments, and especially well in low-permeable soils such as clays, silts and fine sands
- Enhances in situ degradation of broad range of organic contaminants
- Intelligent system based on natural phenomena,
- No secondary pollution from noise, gas or particle pollution,
- Low power consumption and very little resources needed for operations and maintenance,
- No hazardous chemicals needed,
- No harm to fauna or wildlife,
- Alternative/renewable energy source-compatible,
- Simple logistics and work safety: in situ treatment requires no transport and thus can be carried out discreetly. There is no need for personnel to be on site except during installation, dismantling, and measurement sampling.
- Enhances bioremediation
- Groundwater aquifers are treated simultaneously with soil
The technology has proven to work on a substantially wide range of organic pollutants in the ground, ground water and bottom sediments, including:
- Aliphatic hydrocarbons (gasoline, petrol, diesel, heavy oil)
- Benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylenes (BTEX compounds), MTBE, ETBE and TBA
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- Chloroethenes (TeCE, TCE, DCEs and MCE)